An exciting opportunity to undertake a maintenance role within a dedicated team, with the Hard of Hearing Group, providing life changing support to people with hearing loss.
You will be responsible for assessing the needs of our service users and carrying out any practical maintenance of their hearing aids. You will play a vital role in helping people manage their hearing loss by providing practical and emotional support. You will also be sharing information with clients, signposting and referring to other agencies in your local area.
Successful people in this role will be organised, sociable and able to communicate comfortably particularly with people with hearing loss and the elderly.
Full induction and appropriate training will be given for this role, with ongoing support from the Service Coordinator as we want you to feel part of the team and enjoy your experience with the group.
You will receive the satisfaction of giving back to others through their hearing aids and you will be working in an inclusive environment sharing knowledge and experiences. The role requires a person to be able to dedicate at least 8 hours a month, from home and the drop-in session.
Once trained, volunteers will support service users by:
• Undertaking an assessment of any problems or needs the Service User is experiencing
• Where the assessment requires the intervention of professional services; by agreement with the Service User make a referral through the appropriate procedure to their GP, NHS Audiology or Social Work.
• Providing advice on the use of Hearing Aids and other related Hard of Hearing matters. This may include the provision of equipment through the Social Work Sensory Support Unit.
• Communicating with the relevant parties in order to ensure there is sufficient stock available locally.
Once trained, where practical assistance can be provided:
• Check and change batteries when appropriate
• Re-tube and clean hearing aid where required
• Replace the hearing aid hook where required
• Clean through slim fit tubes where required