Home-Start is a voluntary organisation in which volunteers offer regular support, friendship and practical help to young families under stress in their own homes helping to prevent family crisis or breakdown.
Home-Start volunteers support families in the following way:
- Offering support, friendship and practical help. This might include help with budgeting, meal planning, attending appointments, accessing services etc.
- Visiting the families in their own homes, where the dignity and identity of each individual can be respected and protected through non-judgemental, compassionate and confidential support.
- Reassuring families that difficulties in bringing up children are not unusual.
- Emphasising the positive aspects of family life and positive parenting.
- Developing a relationship with the family in which time can be shared and an understanding developed.
- Encouraging parents’ strengths and emotional well being for the ultimate benefit of their own children.
- Encouraging families to widen their network of relationships and to use effectively the support and services available in the community.