Working within the new office in Market Street, Stranraer volunteers may be asked to get involved in the following activities:
- Directing visitors to local businesses, attractions and local amenities including public toilets, cash machines, parks, museums etc.
- Giving directions to visitors to other local towns or to areas out with the region, e.g. Belfast or Ayrshire.
- Provide visitors with information regarding local public transport.
- Answering questions from visitors about the village/town.
- Assisting customers on the shop floor.
- Helping with the cash desk
- Basic computer work, answering phone enquiries and stock checking
- Light cleaning
- Making unbiased but personal suggestions as to what they enjoy about the local area
- Taking accurate messages if outside agencies arrive, or customers have difficult queries whilst no one is in the hub to assist
Volunteers should have a keen interest in some of the above points, experience is not required, so long as you have a willingness to learn, within boundaries you are comfortable with.
We ask that you help us identify areas you may need support with to allow you to accurately and personably assist the public in a way that paints the local area, the Gateway to Galloway Hub, and the Stranraer Development Trust in a positive light.
If you have any skills or experience not listed above that you feel would allow us to benefit the public in any way we more than welcome you to get in touch and will take any suggestions or applications seriously.
We may have more need for people willing to support people outside of the Hub during the Spring and Summer months, but this will be discussed on an individual basis.
Volunteers may be asked to man the hub over lunch or to allow staff to attend meetings. We aim to give as much prior notice as possible and are more than fine if volunteers do not feel confident being left on their own.
We welcome volunteers of any background or abilities, the Hub is on a flat surface, with accessible friendly bathrooms, we will do our absolute best to support people of any additional needs.